This time last year, I was blogging five nights a week. Needless to say, I’ve had to cut back a bit and in so doing have forced myself into consolidating any holiday recipe contributions I might like to make this year.
Today I want to share a new cookie recipe, but I should also direct you back to 2009 when I posted a week’s worth of easy, last-minute dessert ideas. I’ll be referring back to it myself for sure!
In the meantime, I’ve come up with a fresh idea for a Christmas cookie to share with my family. It’s not one of our traditional Christmas treats, but I’m pretty sure they’re gonna dig it. (Earmuffs, family!)
Last week I got to meet the very cool Elina over lunch and she brought me a sampling of some of the most brilliant homemade cookies I’ve ever tasted. Homegirl has talent! One of the treats she made was a lemon sugar cookie. It was love at first bite and I decided the rest of the fandamily needed to try it too. So I did some scrounging and ended up with a hybrid of a couple cookie recipes. A bit nervous to bake a cookie that wasn’t chocolate chip, I cobbled together the following:
Lemon Sugar Cookies
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 1.5 cups flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp lemon extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- zest of 1/2 a lemon
- extra sugar for garnish, if desired
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt and lemon zest in a medium bowl.
- Separately, in a large bowl, beat egg and sugar together until smooth and creamy, a minute or two.
- Add butter and extracts to egg + sugar mixture.
- Gradually add flour mixture a little at a time and mix until incorporated.
- Divide dough into two parts and shape into two logs about two inches in diameter. Roll in wax paper and freeze overnight.
- Slice (about 1/2 inch thick) and sprinkle with a little sugar for sparkle, if desired. Bake 10-12 minutes at 350*.
Makes 3-4 dozen
They came out so well! Far better than I deserved, I’m sure. The lemon flavor is most definitely there, but so is the butter and sugar so it’s quite the happy cookie indeed.
I understand that lemony sweets are not for everyone, though, so here again are a few other holiday-appropriate desserts (that don’t require freezing overnight, might I add!):
Don’t think I’ve forgotten about the giveaway I promised either! I just decided to save it and make it my Christmas present to blog-land. And for those of you for whom Christmas is not a holiday, it shall be my December 25th present to blog-land. Look for it next weekend!
What’s your favorite holiday treat? I actually just got hit with a craving for 7-layer bars—they are the ultimate! Also a fan of the omnipresent 2-pound box of See’s nuts & chews.