Ok, I know I said I was off of the cereal theme for desserts. Previous offenders: Cinnamon Raisin Cereal Pudding, Maple Almond Toasty Bowl and Cereal Pie. The thing is, I lied. But this one is worth it, I promise!
I mean, I love cereal and I love ice cream, so I decided to marry my two loves. And why not?
What might look like breakfast to you…
…looks like dessert to me.
…Actually, this looks like breakfast to me as well.
- 1 liter (1 box) vanilla almond milk
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- sweetener to taste, if desired
- 1 cup granola
- Pour out a splash of almond milk and test for quality control. ;)
- Combine almond milk, xanthan gum and sweetener (if using—I used sweetened almond milk so I didn’t need additional sweetener) in a blender and whiz until smooth.
- Pour into ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer instructions.
- Add granola during last 5 minutes of processing (or according to manufacturer instructions for adding mix-ins).
- Serve and/or freeze!
If enjoying this as a dessert, you might like to know that it makes an excellent topper for a warm black bean brownie.
If enjoying this as a breakfast, you might like to know that it makes an excellent topper for a warm black bean brownie.
As you can see, almond milk is fairly thin and watery, hence the “sorbet” in the title. This “ice cream” comes out a bit icy and closer to the texture of sorbet than anything with “cream” in the name.
And as usual, don’t feel like you can’t give this a shot if you don’t own an ice cream maker. I usually recommend blending the ingredients per my first step, then pouring into a container with the granola. Stick it in the freezer and stir every 20 minutes or so until you have a texture that suits you.