Alternative post titles:
- The Blob
- Beware of Falling Cookie Dough
- Warning: Ugly Photos Ahead
What I’m trying to say is that this post won’t be remembered for things like “food styling” or even “good photography.”
But I do have a rockin’ vegan ice cream recipe for you. Only if you’re interested, of course. ;)
Double Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream (Vegan)
- 2 cans coconut milk (one regular, one lite)
- 1/2 cup agave nectar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 tbsp raw cacao powder (or unsweetened cocoa)
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 recipe Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls (not balled yet)
- Prepare the chocolate chip cookie dough recipe per Averie’s instructions, but do not roll into balls. Place dough in the fridge.
- Meanwhile, combine all remaining ingredients in a blender and whiz just until well-incorporated.
- Process ice cream batter in your ice cream maker per manufacturer’s instructions.*
- Meanwhile, remove cookie dough from the fridge and pinch off bits according to how large you want your cookie dough bites in the ice cream.
- Add cookie dough bits to the ice cream batter about 5 minutes before turning off the ice cream maker, or according to the machine instructions.
- Freeze and enjoy!
*If you don’t have an ice cream maker, I recommend following steps 1 and 2, then placing the ice cream mixture in the freezer. Stir every 10-20 minutes or so until the mixture has reached soft serve texture, at which point you could stir in the cookie dough. Feel free to nosh as soon as you have achieved your desired ice cream thickness.
Clearly my first sample was too good to bother serving it neat and tidy in a pretty bowl and everything. I scooped a big blob out of the ice cream maker with my spatula and plopped it into a little Tupperware container for immediate consumption.
Actually, I’m done apologizing for the lame photos. You’re lucky I didn’t eat the whole batch straight from the ice cream maker, in which case I would have had nothing to photograph but the dark, cavernous (and empty…) depths of its frozen, rotating barrel.
Your turn: vanilla or chocolate ice cream to go with your chocolate chip cookie dough? “Other” is an acceptable answer as well. :)