To me, this is what Heaven looks like:
The Great Kitchen Purge continues. With only the purchase of an eggplant, I was able to make a monster eggplant parmesan built for one hungry Diana-face. I used up the last of my cheese, marinara and bread crumbs in the process, all things that needed to get gone for one reason or another. For that matter, I only used half of the eggplant, so tomorrow's dinner will be inevitably heavenly as well. Perhaps another round of Baba-Humma? I do still have enough hummus to feed most of Mesopotamia...
I digress. I was daydreaming of eggplant. What was I talking about? Oh, right:
- 1/2 large eggplant, sliced into half moons, 1/2 inch thick
- bread crumbs
- dried Italian herbs, garlic powder
- 1 egg
- marinara sauce
- mozzarella cheese, grated
I didn't really measure anything, because this is something I know how to do by heart, though I think it originated from a Weight Watchers recipe my mom showed me many moons ago. I'm pretty sure my version takes less than half the time to make, however. Here it is:
- Preheat the oven to broil.
- Whisk the egg in a small bowl with a wide bottom.
- Pour out a generous amount of bread crumbs on a plate; sprinkle in your desired amount of the seasonings and combine througout.
- Dredge eggplant slices in the egg and then coat with the crumb mixture. Spread onto a cookie sheet prepared with cooking spray.
- Broil for 5 minutes; flip the slices over and broil for 5 more minutes. Reduce heat to 350* and remove eggplant from the oven.
- Layer eggplant, sauce and cheese in a small casserole dish until eggplant is used up.
- Bake for 10 minutes and serve.
That's pretty much the most vague recipe ever, but I also believe in adjusting proportions to suit your own taste. I, for example, prefer a generous amount of sauce with minimal cheese. It's a prescription to play with.
As for today's Vegas installment, I realize that my mini updates from last week revealed most of what we did, so the suspense I'm building is minimal, but I'm holding off on posting another batch of pictures until tomorrow. Here's a hint, though: