So I'm about eleventy-five years late in catching on to this trend since I was tagged to do it on Facebook so long ago, but then again I go on Facebook like, once a fortnight. Approximately. Anyway, I like blogs better than Facebook, so I'm publishing this list here first because a) I have nothing food-related to blog about today and b) this is the only place I feel justified in discussing myself nonstop. And there's nothing anyone can do about it! Feel free to skip this if you like, I don't blame you, but this is all yer gettin' from me today. I have to spend some QT with my main man now. :)
1. My shoe size is 8.5, but as a tweenager I had to buy 10s for a while. I've heard of growth spurts, but subsequent growth regression?
2. My baby blanket was (is...) named Ghee. As in clarified butter. And it's yellow. I was born knowing Hindi.
3. My favorite movie is Father of the Bride, and I am determined to play basketball with my dad before I get married.
4. During my grade school years, I was positive I was going to be a marine biologist when I grew up because I loved sharks so much. When I learned that would mean getting in the water with them, I changed my mind.
5. During my year spent teaching English in China, I ate a scorpion. On purpose. It tasted like fried cornflakes.
6. I used to live in Palos Verdes, CA. Back then there was a Sea World-ish theme park nearby my house, and one of my earliest memories is hearing the walruses barking from my backyard.
7. I have a lot of gray hair for my age. I would like to think I could leave it and I would just look more distinguished, but right now it just makes the crown of my head look like one of those fiber optic toys you get at the circus.
8. I double majored in Sociology and Spanish at Boston College. I was working on a Women's Studies minor for a while too, but it was taking up so much time that I couldn't get my then-boyfriend's dinner on the table at a decent hour. ;)
9. There's a vertical stripe in my left thumbnail. The dermatologist told me it's actually a mole in my nailbed, beneath the skin, so when my nail grows out, that pigment ends up looking like a stripe. Cool!
10. I was raised in the Christian tradition, but was actually never baptized so that I could decide for myself later on what religion I wanted to follow. It's a good thing people who still carry their original sin are allowed to get Christmas presents, though.
11. My parents live in Tokyo. I wasn't born there, nor have I ever lived there for more than a couple months at a time, but I've actually had someone ask me if that means I'm Japanese.
12. I love that I live just a couple blocks from the house on Cranberry Street that was used in the movie Moonstruck. That's amore.
13. When I was 3 or 4, I think I had a dream that I owned a little blue camera. However, I guess I didn't realize at the time that it was a dream because I distinctly remember persistently asking my mom to help me find it. Of course, she never did, but I got a little blue camera that next Christmas. That shut me up!
14. I was a Girl Scout for a really long time, reaching the Cadette (blue sash) level and earning my Silver Award. My patches included such achivements as massage and skin care.
15. I grew up in Connecticut and consider my bout of Lyme's Disease my badge of authenticity. That and tennis. Lots of tennis. Am I good at tennis? No, but man do I "know how" to play.
16. I was a pretty serious student of piano for probably 14 years. For my final recital, I played "Clair de Lune" and "Feed the Birds" from Mary Poppins. Disney nerd alert!
17. I desperately want to visit the Playboy Mansion. I have no Bunny fantasies whatsoever, but come on, that place is bad-ass.
18. I actually do some decent impressions. I'm told my Cartman voice is particularly accurate. Kermit the Frog, not so much.
19. In high school I started an Improv Comedy Club. It was kinda fun, but uh...Amy Poehler I am not.
20. In India, my dad and I were on a boat near Mumbai when another tourist boat full on crashed into ours. My life flashed before my eyes, but we didn't sink or anything. Mom's still glad she had Delhi belly that day I bet.
21. I know how to crochet. I can make one thing and one thing only: scarves. You don't want to see what happens when I try to make shapes.
22. The boyf says I have infinite patience. Why? Because I put up with him.
23. I did my time with food poisoning in China. Only two major incidents to speak of, but at those particular two times the only plumbing available to me was of the squatter variety (one time on board an overnight train). Next time you find yourself so afflicted, you think of me and ENJOY IT. Hmph.
24. I'm not much of a drinker, but the most memorable (not that I remember that much of it) drunken college experience resulted in my earning the nickname "Cheez-It Girl"...to the point where I went to a graduation party and a friend's little brother addressed me as such.
25. I'm about to check off "25 Random Things About Me" from my to-do list. Thank God, it's been there for months.