I have had pancakes two mornings in a row this weekend. For some reason, Memorial Day weekend has brought out the pancaker in me. Maybe because it's sunny and the beginning of summer and the sun is round...just like a pancake?
I'll keep thinking about it.
Anyway, considering that one of aforementioned pancake breakfasts came from a boxed mix, I will share the one for which I actually have a recipe. This oat brancake is adapted from Kath's Oatmeal Pancake recipe, and it is one of those wonder meals that tastes all complicated but is secretly even quicker to make than a pot of oats.
- 1/3 cup oat bran
- 1/4 cup liquid egg whites
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- lots of cinnamon
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- Mix together all of the above ingredients in a bowl.
- Heat a small skillet prepared with nonstick cooking spray. Pour in the batter and spread into an even circular pancake.
- Cook until dry and golden brown on the underside, then flip and continue until done through.
- Serve and top with whatever suits your fancy. I used a tablespoon of raw crunchy almond butter and a few Newman's Organics dried apple rings. Plus more sminnamon, of course.
Along with my perfect pancake, I had a cup of coffee (brewed with...more cinnamon) and a bowl of thawed papaya and mango, since my seasonal palate is as confused as New York City's weather right now, apparently.
It's back to work for me this Monday, but I hope you have something fun planned. Anyone busting out ye olde grille this weekend? What I would give to have a "yard"...
One more day remains to enter the giveaway for Vitatops! Don't miss it!